Mold is not just a household problem but also a health problem, as it can cause various illnesses, particularly among babies and young children as well as individuals who have asthma and other respiratory diseases. It is, therefore, essential that you know how to spot the signs of mold in your home, including the following:
- A musty, damp smell;
- Wet patches on the walls or ceilings;
- Dampness around window sills; and
- Black or green spots on the walls, ceilings, or window frames.
Mold and children’s health
In the late 1990s, the University of Cincinnati conducted a study on 10 babies with unexplained bleeding in their lungs, also reviewing the coroner’s records on their deaths. Using pre-burial tissue samples, the researchers discovered that mold caused six of those deaths.
Pneumonia, bronchitis, and croup
Researchers from Harvard found that babies who live in damp houses have more bouts of pneumonia, persistent bronchitis, and croup. They are prone to the respiratory effects of mold because they have smaller airways and under-developed immune systems. Wheezing in children is a sign of allergy to mold, while children who do not wheeze but still have breathing difficulties may have inflammation of their airways. Previous studies also showed that mold could trigger the development of asthma in children.
Get rid of mold
Mold is harmful to health and has even been implicated in pneumonia and crib death, but mold removal experts like AAA Restoration in Salt Lake City can safely solve the problem, restore your home to its former glory, and protect your whole family’s health.