Computerization has become imperative for any kind of industry. Data base management systems are vital software systems used in businesses. Relational database management system (RDBMS) is the most popular one used for storage of financial data, logistical information, personnel and other manufacturing data.
SQL Server by Microsoft is an enterprise level RDBMS widely used by many businesses. This technology allows you to duplicate all the data to store at various locations. It helps you store your company data in more than one location and the process itself is called replication.
Secure Storage And Recovery Of Data
Replication helps store and share data between different location and different databases. A provider of professional remote SQL Server Support services such as DBA Services (Australia) enumerates the many advantages of replication:
- Duplicate copies of the data can be created and shared with various users, even if they are remotely located.
- Any changes made to the local copy of the database can be synchronized so that the same changes are reflected in the original source data too.
- The replication process can be an additional plan for your existing disaster recovery plan. Duplicating the data from a local base and storing it in a remote computer can aid recovery.
- Thus, if the primary database crashes, the applications can automatically switch to the replicated copy. Since, all the data is already available, uninterrupted daily operations can continue.
- Backup of a database can be created automatically by storing a replica on another computer. The process of replication helps make all changes over the web.
- Replication also helps to balance the loads across different network servers.
This technology uses the model of a normal publishing industry to represent the components. The various entities are the distributor, agent, publisher, subscriber etc.
The publisher refers to the computer that has data available for subscription or replication. The distributor maintains the distribution database. The subscriber maintains the published data. The ‘agents’ refer to the process that help copy and distribute the data between the publisher and the distributor/subscriber.
Harnessing The Technology For Higher ROI
While these are highly technical details for the nonprofessionals, the technology can be harnessed to maintain all records and data of the businesses securely. By storing them at various locations and ensuring all the alterations are updated at each of the location, data can be made available for review instantly. Reviewing financial and other related data is one way of progressing in business and increasing ROI.